Thursday, March 27, 2008

New York Radio: a glimmer of hope??

I only just realized there's a new New York rock radio station. (My god, advertising works! I saw the poster on the Metro-North train!)

My impression so far is that this is what the late lamented WNEW-FM 102.7 might be today if only it had survived into this century. Starting out with old Lou Reed and new REM works for me entirely. I really enjoyed the NY version of Jack FM for 2 years; I discovered a heckuva lot of newer rock and pop I'd been missing for years of not listening to radio at all (not even Q104.3). This is even better! Stones, Talking Heads, Franz Ferdinand (yay!!!!), Dishwalla, Janis Joplin, Coldplay, REM, A3, Elvis Costello, The Bravery, The Killers, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Springsteen...all in happy juxtaposition!!! My god, a radio station that really is my iPod on shuffle!!!

I have plenty of issues with Jack (as I've kept listening to their 6 or 7 feeds on iTunes radio)...big issues like 99 Luftballons and The Pina Colada Song. At least they don't stoop to dull idiotic boompety boompety crud like Fergie or soul-destroying crap like Mariah Carey. (HELLO people: PAY ATTENTION. ALL her songs sound alike! You only need one!!)

I really hope this station survives. I really hope I NEVER have to hear Sweet Home Alabama EVER AGAIN. Or Captain Jack. Or Take the Money and Run. Or Lying Eyes. Why the hell do classic rock djs think New Yorkers want to hear f**ing Skynyrd every 5 minutes?? Why is 4 Dead in Ohio something people might want to hear at 10 am just as their new day is starting? Life doesn't suck enough, let's hear a rousing song about dead people and injustice AGAIN!

But I will keep listening to Q104.3 Sunday nights cos I need my Little Steven's Underground Garage fix. O yeah.

1 comment:

Ken Houghton said...

I thought about putting "The Rock Experience" on yesterday, after the Buddy Holly finished and to save Ed from _Running on Empty_, but every time I switched to it, it was on commercial.

Closer to PLJ than PIX, but still an improvement overall. And since Jack was just a conspiracy to get rid of all the good music played on WBCS (and it worked!), it's the default leader of the commercial stations.