Thursday, March 6, 2008

Mock Cheese Steak

The last time I was in Philly in 2001, attending the World Science Fiction convention (the fondly remembered and wonderfully named Millenium Philcon), I think Rick's Cheesesteaks (in the Reading Market) were better. Were the onions always so finely chopped and slightly crunchy?? And the meat seemed gray and a bit tough, not lush and browned. I seem to recall long strands of well-caramelized onion. Well, that's the way I make my cheese steaks.

As my corner diner makes awesome NY cheese steaks that are dense, tender and filled with both onions and mushrooms, I became addicted and concocted an at-home version that's slightly healthier. Slightly.

For 2 people: Add olive oil to a frying pan. Cook 1/2 of a sweet onion and 2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced thin. When the mushrooms are done as you like, add 1/4 lb of rare deli roast beef , cut into thirds for manageability. Keep these lying atop the vegs, so they don't turn completely well-done too quickly. When the meat is warmed, mix it in with the onions and mushrooms. Then add slices of cheddar, deli munster, provolone or monterey jack cheese. When the cheese melts, serve. (Sorry, I just never do "american cheese" or that wiz stuff. Ever. The deli munster is close enough without being utterly artificial.)

I like to serve this over mashed potatoes, with a side of cooked broccoli or green beans. Or both.

No comments: