Monday, May 12, 2008

The Joy of Roots!

Was ever there a finer sight? ROOTS, baby! Roots!

Repotted in March, photographed in May, I love watching this minicatt grow. It's only flowered every other year, but that possibly might be due to its having been growing mostly outside of its previous pot, its roots seeking nourishment in the humidity tray...I lost track but I think I've had it about five years? And this is the second time its been repotted and refreshed.

Otaara Hwa Yuan Bay "She Shu" from Carmela Orchids. A gorgeous full-figured splash-petal flower. The first time it flowered I was dismayed because the bud was tiny when it opened, looked weak and spindly-petaled. But within days, like a butterfly emerging damp and crumpled from its chrysalis, the flower had expanded to its promised glory and stayed beautiful for over a month.

I love the flowers but frankly the growth habit is a menace to its neighbors. Look at that wide stance. Quite rude. I'll forgive it as long as it blooms again this year.

No comments: