Thursday, March 19, 2015

Knitting Up Rhinebeck 2012: Spirit Trail Fiberworks "Nona" Cascata

My handpaint obsession nearly burnt itself out at Rhinebeck Sheep & Wool in 2012. I got lotsa stuff in gorgeous multicolors, but also a few things more muted in tones. I loved the watercolor effect of this merino, silk and cashmere blend from Spirit Trail Fiberworks. Their yarns are absolutely delicious.


The colorway being Beach Glass, seemed a natural fit with a shawl pattern called Cascata, meant to evoke flowing water. Behold:


Cascata Shawl

I LOVE this pattern. I might even make it again someday, because unfortunately the skein ran a bit short for the full pattern, but I got the important parts in! (The rest was just a lot of short-rows making a sort of collar. Not fully necessary, IMHO.)

I wore this shawl a LOT at Readercon, and it kept me warm even in the notoriously chilly Salon F. And it flings nicely, due to the soft, silky yet firm hand of they yarn. Love it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful! I have an odd question. I am working on a shawl using the beach glass colorway as well, and I am near the end and have run out of yarn! Would you be willing to sell or trade me something from my stash of yarn? I would be forever grateful.

orchidgrrl nyc said...

Hi Sarah, I'm sorry I didn't see this comment sooner! I ran completely out of yarn in this colorway making this shawl, so I really can't help. Wish I could! Good luck!! Are you on Ravelry?