Sunday, April 10, 2011

Aerangis hyaloides

Miniature orchids don't get much cuter than Aerangis hyaloides. They are perfect scale miniature versions of larger more familiar species like A. biloba or A. citrata, and that of course increases their cuteness factor by many orders of magnitude.

When I saw compots of this species for sale by H&R Orchids at the SEPOS/Longwood show, for only $50, I flipped and immediately bought one. Not only were the plants all fantastically green and healthy, they were all in flower. Well not all. But nearly every one that was big enough had at least 1 spike and the pot was peppered with sweet crystalline white flowers.


Considering what individual blooming-size plants cost...yeah. No brainer. So today I finally took the compot apart, and ended up with a simply ridiculous number of mature plants and babies. 12 with spikes!! and another 10 that are nearly blooming size. I potted them in sphagnum moss in tiny plastic pots, for now. The biggest ones are solo, the next size are sharing pots in pairs; the tiniest ones got a new compot arrangement for now.

Having wonderful adorable little planties to trade or sell is a good thing! Now to find ideal spots for the big ones I'm actually keeping...

3 comments:

Beth Niver said...

Oh! wish I'd seen this last year! I'm a big aerangis/angraecum fan--was just shopping for one of these and found your blog. I love reading posts about orchids, too. Thanks for sharing :)

Beth Niver said...

Would love to see a post about your leonis. Am trying to re-hab a couple of withered leaves on my own. Interested in cultural tips if you've had success with your leonis.

orchidgrrl nyc said...

Hi Beth! My Ang. leonis is hanging in there, growing a nice fat new leaf now that I moved it a bit closer to the lights. It was touch and go for a while...one of those situations where the plant just SITS there and you wonder what's up with that! I'll be making a progress report soon!